Don’t Be Afraid to Question Yourself
Jason Feifey, the editor of Entrepreneur magazine says that we should always be asking ourselves two questions:
1. Why am I doing this?
2. Can I do it better?
This makes sense to me. We follow certain procedures and systems that either we or someone else have put in place, yet don’t periodically ask ourselves whether they make sense.
Also, just because we do it one way doesn’t mean that there might not be a better way to do it.
Give Your Job a Quick Scan
1. Take some notes about what you do for the day (or for the week) and what you do that varies on any given day of the week.
2. After you record this information, take a highlighter and highlight items that don’t make sense or that you want to take time to think about.
3. Ask yourself what a better way would look like.
4. Write down any changes you want to make and how you would go about it.
5. Now work a week the “new way” and see what you think.
6. How did the “new week” feel?
7. Check back in three months and see if you still like what you’re doing.
8. If you need to make adjustments to your new way—go ahead.