Finding Time to Think about YOU
One of my new professionals I am coaching isso stoked about being a new leader in his organization that he thinks about itall the time. He works hard and smart and his CEO notices it.
He hadn’t taken anytime to take a break in months, though, and felt the need to do so. He selectedhis favorite thing to do— ski in Colorado. He loves the beauty of the mountainsand the thrill of skiing, so it was perfect.
The part I especiallyliked, though, was when he said he just wanted to get a way and be by himself.He wanted time to think about life. I commended him and told him I’d talk tohim after vacation, but he said that he wanted me to call him so that he couldtell me “where he was at”.
I told him I callthose times my “Away Days”. You trulyget away to do some careful thinking about you and your life.
I did call him duringhis trip and verified that he really wanted to be coached while he was onvacation. He has a great sense of humor but was especially witty on this call.He also seemed very relaxed. He talked slower than normal and told me that thetime away was very good for him.
I don’t think werealize what time away does for us. We tend to think differently since we arein a different location. It sparks us to think about what we’re seeing aroundus, as well as think differently.
Not everyone canafford regular vacations, but you can still pick a day, time ,and spot whereyou will get away to be more mindful. Many people say they are too busy to doit, but if you are only a “doer” and not a “thinker” you are likely to staystuck doing what you’ve always done.
LET ME HELP YOU GET STARTED WITH YOUR ‘AWAY DAY’
1. Pick a day that isless busy for you
2. Try to get away forthe entire day
3. Make sure someone elsecan handle everything that comes up
4. Set your e-mailmessage so that people know you are gone
5. Choose a spot that isthe most beautiful you can find
6. Make sure it’s acalming atmosphere
7. If you can be outside,that’s an extra bonus
8. Let your mind wanderin any direction it wants
9. Think positively andstay away from work issues or challenges
10. Write down a few thoughts and number them, if you are soinspired