Finding Time to Think about YOU
One of my new professionals I am coaching is so stoked about being a new leader in his organization that he thinks about it all the time. He works hard and smart and his CEO notices it.
He hadn’t taken anytime to take a break in months, though, and felt the need to do so. He selected his favorite thing to do— ski in Colorado. He loves the beauty of the mountain sand the thrill of skiing, so it was perfect.
The part I especially liked, though, was when he said he just wanted to get a way and be by himself.He wanted time to think about life. I commended him and told him I’d talk to him after vacation, but he said that he wanted me to call him so that he could tell me “where he was at”.
I told him I call those times my “Away Days”. You truly get away to do some careful thinking about you and your life.
I did call him during his trip and verified that he really wanted to be coached while he was on vacation. He has a great sense of humor but was especially witty on this call.He also seemed very relaxed. He talked slower than normal and told me that the time away was very good for him.
I don’t think we realize what time away does for us. We tend to think differently since we are in a different location. It sparks us to think about what we’re seeing around us, as well as think differently.
Not everyone can afford regular vacations, but you can still pick a day, time ,and spot where you will get away to be more mindful. Many people say they are too busy to do it, but if you are only a “doer” and not a “thinker” you are likely to stay stuck doing what you’ve always done.
LET ME HELP YOU GET STARTED WITH YOUR ‘AWAY DAY’
1. Pick a day that is less busy for you
2. Try to get away for the entire day
3. Make sure someone else can handle everything that comes up
4. Set your e-mail message so that people know you are gone
5. Choose a spot that is the most beautiful you can find
6. Make sure it’s a calming atmosphere
7. If you can be outside,that’s an extra bonus
8. Let your mind wander in any direction it wants
9. Think positively and stay away from work issues or challenges
10. Write down a few thoughts and number them, if you are so inspired