Today Is My Birthday!Executive Coaching
Usually I don’t make a big deal about my birthdays, but they mean more to me after last year. That’s when I almost died twice because of a splenic aneurism. I know. You’ve never heard of it, right? Neither had the doctors. One said he didn’t know of any other person who survived one, but that’s a topic for a future blog.
I want everyone reading this column to start making a big deal about their birthday. Make it a day that is special and unique. Don’t be one of those people who say, “Birthdays are like any other day to me. I don’t even celebrate them anymore.”
If you are alive on your birthday, you are very lucky. There is a former colleague that I always said I would call to catch up with, but he recently died of a heart attack, so I guess I waited too long. Don’t let that happen to you.
Look at my Birthday Action Steps and see if they might make sense for you to do on your next birthday. You see, today we are not going to talk about work at all. We’re going to talk about you.
ACTION STEPS FOR YOUR NEXT BIRTHDAY
- Wake up the morning of your birthday and be glad you are alive.
- Have a special breakfast that is your very favorite food.
- Celebrate the day by being around the people who are very special to you. Tell them how much they mean to you.
- Take the day off and just think about all the things on your bucket list for the future.
- If you must work, plan a special Happy Hour for later in the day that you can look forward to.
- Find a time when you can sit by yourself in a very quiet place to think about every blessing you have.
- Think about all the changes you still have time to make to be the person you want to be.
Sing to the tune of “Happy Birthday”: “Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. After writing this I feel amazing. And I know you do, too.”