"You’ve Been with Us __ Years Today!"
Today’s tip is something that could become very powerful for you as a leader. It’s meant especially for you to use with all of your team members—particularly those are who are very valuable to the organization.
Have a sheet that lists all of employees’ anniversary dates. Find out some of their greatest accomplishments so that you are prepared for your conversation with them. Now, take them out for coffee or lunch the day of their anniversary and announce how many years they’ve been with the organization.
Some of them may be surprised, either by you taking them out just for that celebration or for you knowing how many years they’ve been with the organization.
What you’ve done with an event like this is create a magic moment. Remember not to talk about any other projects, deadlines or matters other than this celebration.
ACTION STEPS FOR YOUR CONVERSATION
- Think of something you remember about when they first started.
- Ask them if they know how far they’ve come since they’ve been there.
- Talk about some fun times you’ve enjoyed together.
- Talk to their manager before-hand and have a list of results they’ve achieved.
- This is the big one: Tell them to take off a few hours early that day and enjoy themselves.